What are you posting to your business' Instagram Story? While posting to your personal Story…
If you’re visiting i3’s blog page, there’s an 80% chance that you read this blog’s headline. Wonderful! However, there’s a much smaller 20% of those remaining readers that have begun to read this article. So, if you’re reading this, you’re part of the 2 out of 10 people that have taken the time to continue reading. While we’re glad that you’re sticking with us, this heavy decline after reading a headline is a problem for many online articles. So, what exactly is happening here and what can be done to combat it?
A study conducted by Copy Blogger claims that only 8 out of 10 people will read your headline, and only 2 out of 10 people will read the rest of what you wrote– something alarming for anyone trying to publish information online. This hefty decline in viewers is caused in part by the topics presented, but another contributing factor is the effectiveness of the headline itself. A truly inspiring, eye-catching headline is required to gain a reader’s interest enough that they’ll click on the headline to give the article a read.
There are quite a few ways to make a jazzy headline that will accomplish this:
– Use numbers. Adding numbers to your headline breaks up the text, so it’s clearer to read, and easier to understand. It also gives readers a concrete fact or idea to hold onto.
– Use adjectives. Adjectives are what work to make a verb exciting, and the more exciting your verbs, the more likely it will catch the attention of viewers. It’s important to only incorporate them when they’re useful contributions that make sense, but when used in a meaningful way, they pack a big punch.
– Use ‘what’, ‘why’, and ‘how’. These words are used to answer an implied question, so they’ll hopefully draw curiosity out of viewers. The ideal audience for your article will want the answer to whatever question you’re going to explain, so a headline phrased this way should be strong.
– Make a bold promise. What is your article trying to accomplish? Use your headline to promise the reader something about your article, whether it’s about the conclusion, the facts, or even how they’ll react to it. The bold promise should be followed up by a strong article, but it’s likely to gain attention for the confidence this will show.
– Use this formula. Number or Keyword + Adjective + Keyword + Promise = Unstoppable Headline. This basic formula is a good guide to incorporate the right elements into your article, given the words and phrases you plug in flow together well.
These simple tips will help ensure that your headline is irresistible enough to gain the attention of your audience. For more information or for help writing any digital copy you’re in need of, contact i3 today. I’d also like to thank the 2 out of 10 people who’ve read this.