Today we’d like to chat about a few tips when it comes to using #hashtags! Hashtags are words or phrases that use a pound sign (as some of us remember it), also known as a hashtag ‘#’, in front of them. When using them, here’s some guidance to keep in mind:
- Never use spaces or punctuation in your hashtags. For example, if I want to say #i3mediasolutions, as you can see you skip using the spaces.
- You can space your hashtags out. If you’re posting about your favorite food, you can use the phrase ‘I love #pizza!’ and also include more hashtags at the end of your writing. Hashtags don’t have to wait until the end of the post, they can be added in wherever throughout.
- Don’t make your hashtags too long. Try to keep it simple and short. For example, ‘ #getthenewdogfoodnow’ is a pretty long hashtag. Instead, you could use simply ‘#getitnow’. If you keep it short, it’ll be more memorable and functional.
- Make sure your hashtags are relevant. Just because we talk a lot about marketing, doesn’t mean we’ll use #marketing on all of our posts– sometimes we can be more specific. Instead, we can use ‘#socialmedia’ or more specific words that target what our content is really about.
- You can use hashtags anywhere on social media. Even LinkedIn is now incorporating hashtags!
- Be creative! Come up with your own hashtags. A word of warning, make sure you check out your hashtags before posting them! We’ve had plenty of clients thinking that their hashtag means something aside from what they intended. Always do a little bit of research to make sure the hashtag you create if truly YOUR hashtag.
That’s it for today, stay tuned for more information!